COVERAGE: All Staff
RESPONSIBLE: All Staff
AUTHOR: Library Director
REVIEWED BY: Citizens’ Advisory Committee
APPROVED BY: Board of Supervisors
Food and Drink Policy
The Mohave County Library strives to create welcoming, clean, and comfortable environments for the public. To ensure this, it requires that we exercise care in allowing food and drink in library buildings. Food and drink are easily spilled on books, furniture, and equipment, causing damage. Particles of food left behind on books, furniture, or floors attract rodents, cockroaches, silverfish and other unwanted pests. Our aim is to minimize the risk of damage and, at the same time, meet the needs of users who are frequently in the library for extended periods. To achieve this goal, the Library has adopted the following policy for the consumption of food and beverage in public areas of Library facilities:
- Food and drinks may be allowed in designated areas of the library as determined by the Branch Manager.
- Water in unbreakable, covered, “sport bottle” type containers are permissible in all areas of the library except in those areas in which food and drink are specifically prohibited.
- Food or drinks are specifically prohibited in the book stacks, at photocopiers, and at the computers or fax machines.
- Beverages must be in a tightly covered container.
- Unattended food and/or beverages may be subject to disposal by staff.
- In libraries with community meeting rooms and conference rooms used by community organizations, food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed. However, all accompanying trash must be disposed of in the appropriate containers and removed from the room(s).
- Clean up any spills immediately —if additional assistance is needed, contact library staff.
The Library reserves the right to ask any user to remove his/her food and/or beverage from the library if in the judgement of the staff it constitutes a violation of this policy. Allowing food and drink in the library during special events will be at the discretion of the Mohave County Library Director.